Autumn is officially here tomorrow!! And if we want to get really technical about it, Autumn rings in tonight at 10:29 sharp! Can you imagine my excitement?! In honor of my most favorite season change, I want to share a warm, hearty bowl of chili with you. This recipe is also in honor of my very favorite person, my husband, who will be celebrating his birthday this Thursday. So all week long I will be sharing his absolute favorite recipes! We're starting Monday off with this Turkey Burger Crock-Pot Chili, which isn't just the perfect combination of textures and spices, but is also healthy. It's a win, win in my book. Pair this with cornbread and you're in for a treat!
- What You'll Need
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- Two 5.5. fl. oz V8 low sodium vegetable juice
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can red beans (not to be confused with Northern beans)
- 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
- 1 small bag of frozen corn (add as much or as little of it as you like; I used the whole bag!)
- 1 lb. turkey burger
- 1 small onion
- 2.5 heaping TBSP chili powder
- 1/2 TSP garlic salt
- 1/4 TSP onion powder
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 1/4 TSP cumin
- Shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
- Thinly slice shallots (for topping)
- Sour cream (for topping)
- What You'll Do
- Chop the onion up and sauté in very little olive oil; when they start to become translucent, add the turkey burger and cook until done.
- In the meantime, add all of the other ingredients into the Crock-Pot.
- Once the turkey burger and onion is cooked, add to the Crock-Pot. Stir well.
- Set the Crock-Pot on high for 4 hours.
- Top the chili with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced shallots, and sour cream!
For cornbread muffins, I go with Martha White's yellow cornbread mix; you'll just need 1/2 cup of milk and one egg. Instead of baking it in a 9x9 dish, I use muffin tins and bake them for 12 minutes. A slice of butter tucked into their middle and you're golden! I also insist you wear some type of flannel pajamas while eating this chili, because it just seems so appropriate!
Happy almost FALL!!!