Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Bourbon Blueberry & Peach Cobbler

Officially, it's still summer, but fall has very much taken over for me (you should see my house). As part of my summer-wrap up for foods this week I wanted to share a summer dessert treasure! You can't not make this, I'm telling you now.

During July, I tried out a Food Network recipe for a campfire cobbler. Instead of heating over the coals, I baked it in my oven. It turned out amazingly! As someone who is not a fan of bourbon, I was pleasantly surprised with the taste and how much I loved it. The crumble top didn't hurt, and was in fact my favorite part. Really, who doesn't love a good crumble?!

The first time I made this, we ate it with the recommended side of vanilla yogurt. Again, I was surprised with how delicious that was. Yogurt and cobbler don't sound like a winning pair, but it was such a nice combination of textures. The second time I made this (yes, it's good enough to make over and over again), we paired it with vanilla frozen yogurt. It was super that way too. I think you could keep pairing it with several different varieties of yogurt or frozen yogurt and it would still be a amazing. Maybe some different flavors too....how about a lemon version?

Hurry and grab the fresh fruit before it disappears as autumn creeps in! You're going to want to gobble this cobbler up!

  • What You'll Need 
    • For the filling
      • 5 peaches, sliced
      • 3/4 cup blueberries
      • 1/4 cup bourbon
      • 1/4 cup sugar
      • 2 TBSP cornstarch
      • 1 TSP cinnamon
      • 1/4 TSP grated lemon zest
      • 1 TSP fresh lemon juice
      • 1/2 TSP vanilla extract
    • For the topping
      • 1 cup all-purpose flour
      • 1 cup old fashioned oats
      • 1/2 cup sugar
      • 1/2 TSP kosher salt
      • 1 1/2 sticks cold butter, cut into cubes
      • 2 TBSP heavy cream
      • Vanilla yogurt or frozen yogurt for serving

  • What You'll Do
    • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
    • In a large bowl combine the sliced peaches, blueberries, bourbon, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix well and set aside.
    • In a second large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, and salt. Add the cold butter cubes and cut into the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender or your hands (I used my hands because it worked best).
    • Once the mixture is coarse and clumps when squeezed, add the heavy cream and mix until the dough comes together a bit more. 
    • Pour the filling into a pie dish. Spoon the topping mix evenly over the filling.
    • Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. When the cobbler is done the fruit will be bubbling around the edges and the topping will be light and fluffy. 
    • Serve with a side of vanilla yogurt or frozen yogurt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...