Monday, November 17, 2014

Sweet Potato Casserole

Since Thanksgiving is next week I'm starting to round up some of my favorite Thanksgiving Day dishes. Because husband and I now celebrate/host Thanksgiving at our house, we have two Thanksgivings to enjoy, the first being at my parents' home the Sunday before Turkey Day. So we make completely different dishes at our house than the more traditional ones my mom whips up.

Today I am sharing one of my mom's specialties. She's been making this super delicious sweet potato casserole since I was a little girl. And she's converted some non-sweet potato lovers with it. Which means you should probably make it!

  • What You'll Need
    • 3-4 large sweet potatoes
    • Cinnamon
    • Nutmeg
    • Brown sugar
    • Stick butter
    • Small marshmallows

  • What You'll Do
    • Boil the sweet potatoes with the skin on until they are soft. You can test them by sticking them with a fork.
    • Next run them under cool water. Then peel the skin off, which will come right off just using your fingers.
    • Spray a 9 x 13 dish with cooking spray. Then cut the sweet potatoes into thin slices. Begin layering the potato slices in the baking dish. Each layer sprinkle with cinnamon, a little bit of nutmeg, brown sugar, and thin slices of butter. Add more layers and repeat the sprinkling process.
    • Bakes at 325° for about 30 minutes. 
    • Top with the marshmallows and broil until they are brown. This will happen quickly, so keep an eye on them!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...